March 2013: Snips & Spins


NY struck me hard this time.  Perhaps I was searching for a message, or some decent explanation of how I was feeling.  This vacation wasn't peaceful for many reasons, but then again, NY trips never have been.  They're loud, turbulent, cramped, crowded, consumptive, effortful, exhausting, expensive, fast, big, commercial, confusing.  In other words, very trying on all the faculties & the feelings.  

Since these nine days were rocky, I got seasick.  I focused on what was still, quiet & familiar to settle the spinning.  I ate incredible food, met great new & old friends, slept late, wrote postcards, meandered the streets on foot (including the High Line), witnessed a deflated Red Hook, saw 'Amour,' MOMA's lavish displays & The Comedy Cellar's best.  These wonderful, special things didn't calm me completely, however.  So I bottled my own message & threw it out to sea:

Emit, 'live on no evil time.' -Dr. Awkward
      


(Manhattan) 
-Ilford HP5 Plus-



(Manhattan) 
-Ilford HP5 Plus-



(Red Hook) 
-Ilford HP5 Plus-



(Red Hook) 
-Ilford HP5 Plus-



(Manhattan) 
-Ilford HP5 Plus-




 (Manhattan)
-Ilford HP5 Plus-



(Brooklyn) 
-Ilford HP5 Plus-




(Brooklyn Bridge) 
-Ilford HP5 Plus-




 
(Jacob K Javits Convention Center, Manhattan)
-Ilford HP5 Plus-



-Ilford HP5 Plus-



-Ilford HP5 Plus-

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

the bridge one is cool, neat shot!

SK said...

I thought you'd like that one. Gracias mujer.

Jess said...

Like the New York photos, especially the trash bags!

Anonymous said...

Good work & memories Steph, even if so noisy & harried much of time. Also like the bridge shot . What's Red Hook?

SK said...

Thank you, dear Anonymous. Yes, 'harried' is a apt word for my perception of this trip!

Red Hook is a part of Brooklyn that juts out into the Upper New York Bay. No subway goes there. You can see the Statue of Liberty across the water.

This area was hit pretty hard by Sandy, as seen in the lack of people living/visiting the area, closed businesses & general distress. It was, as CR said, "a ghost town," which was peaceful & nice, in a strange way.

I'd been to Red Hook (by bike) in 2007 with my friend Stephanie who lived not too far away, but it had a totally different feel (thriving! up & coming!) then.

Emily said...

Your photo blog is lovely!! I have really been enjoying sorting through it, a little at a time...

SK said...

Thanks Lady Jane. A lot!